Delicious Chocolate Swirl Meringues!
I bought a recipe book entirely dedicated to meringues, which I love cooking, especially when I always seem to have a stash of egg whites sitting in the fridge or freezer.
This book has lots of wonderful recipes, including surprising savory meringues with Indian spices and chili!
This one is a little more traditional but totally addictive with the luscious dark chocolate adding a beautiful contrast in color and taste to the meringues. The center is soft and melts in the mouth, sending you back for more…
90g egg whites (3 egg whites)
120g icing sugar (use granulated that you have mixed in your Thermomix 20 sec/speed 10)
140g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 90C.
- Beat the egg whites until they start to foam (if using Thermomix, place the butterfly whisk, leave the measuring cup off and mix for 30 sec/speed 3.5).
- Add the icing sugar, a tablespoon at a time while still beating, only adding the next tablespoon when the first one is completely mixed in.
- When all the sugar has been incorporated, the whites should be stiff and glossy. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in the Thermomix (first blitz a few seconds on speed 6 to reduce the chunks to small pieces) for 4 min/50C/speed 1.
- Pour onto the egg whites and, using a spatula, lightly mix (not too much as you want to see streaks of white and chocolate coming through).
- Scoop onto the baking tray lined with baking parchment or greaseproof paper (about 2 heaped tablespoons per meringue) and bake for 1 hour.
- Take out of the oven and let to cool before eating.