This is not a Thermomix recipe but it’s a pretty darn easy one and is very useful if, like me, you use a lot of vanilla extract in your cooking. It is much cheaper to make your own vanilla extract and you know what’s in it! The only problem is that it takes a long time to macerate but your patience will pay! You can top up this extract as you use it by adding a bit of alcohol (either Rum or Vodka) and adding a used vanilla pod once in a while…
Source: here and there
200ml alcohol (Vodka or Rum – dark or white)
3 vanilla pods
1 tbsp golden syrup or cane sugar syrup or agave syrup
- Pour alcohol in a glass jar.
- Cut the vanilla pods in half lengthways and add to the jar.
- Add the syrup and mix well.
- Close the jar and leave in a dark cool place (cupboard) for minimum 3 weeks, shaking once per week at the beginning.
- When using, top up with the alcohol and add a used vanilla pod every so often.
- This will keep you going for a long time. The power of vanilla pods will last for 1 year, so discard older ones and replace with a fresh ones every year.