Blanquettes are traditionally made with pieces of stewing veal but it is almost impossible to find veal in Ireland so I used chicken breasts instead. The particularity of blanquettes is that the meat is poached (or steamed in this recipe) so as to keep its white colour. Also the sauce is white and is flavoured with lemon juice to add a bit of acidity to it. It is usually served with carrots, mushrooms and rice but in this recipe, we added some asparagus for a bit of additional colour.
Source: Thermomix book, “Aux goûts du monde”
1 tsp salt
150g carrots cut in 1 cm slices
150g mushrooms brushed clean
200g green asparagus
600g chicken breasts (4 breasts)
100g single cream
1 1/2 chicken stock cube
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp lemon juice
Parsley to garnish
- Put the water in the TM bowl. Add the internal basket and weigh in the rice. Wash the rice 10 sec speed 5
- Put the carrots, mushrooms and asparagus in the Varoma. Put the chicken breasts in the Varoma tray and cook 20 min, Varoma temperature, speed 1
- Take out the steaming basket using the spatula and set the rice aside in a dish in a warm place (season it with salt). Take out the asparagus and set aside in a warm place. Swap the chicken with the carrots/mushrooms (the vegetables in the Varoma tray and the chicken in the Varoma), add more water in the bowl if necessary and cook for 10 min, Varoma, speed 1
- Take out the vegetables and keep them warm (season with a little salt and pepper). Set aside the chicken on a plate. Pour out the cooking liquid in a jug and add the butter and flour to the TM bowl. Cook 3 min, 100C, speed 2
- Add 600g of the cooking liquid, the cream, the stock cubes and the Worcestershire sauce and cook for a further 4 min 30, 100C, speed 3
- While the sauce is cooking, cut the chicken breasts into big chunks.
- Add the lemon juice to the sauce and mix 15 sec, speed 8
- Taste the sauce and season or add more lemon juice if necessary. Add the chicken chunks to the sauce and stir 1 min, speed spoon, 100C, reverse blade direction.
- Pour over the vegetables and stir. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with chopped parsley.