I bought a recipe book entirely dedicated to meringues, which I love cooking, especially when I always seem to have a stash of egg whites sitting in the fridge or freezer. This book has lots of wonderful recipes, including surprising savoury meringues with Indian spices and chilli! This one is a little more traditional but totally addictive with the luscious dark chocolate adding a beautiful contrast in colour and taste to the meringues. The centre is soft and melts in the mouth, sending you back for more…
Source: Meringues Magic by Alisa Morov
90g egg whites (3 egg whites)
120g icing sugar (use granulated that you have mixed in your Thermomix 20 sec/speed 10)
140g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 90C.
- Beat the egg whites until they start to foam (if using Thermomix, place the butterfly whisk, leave the measuring cup off and mix for 30 sec/speed 3.5).
- Add the icing sugar, a tablespoon at a time while still beating, only adding the next tablespoon when the first one is completely mixed in.
- When all the sugar has been incorporated, the whites should be stiff and glossy. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in the Thermomix (first blitz a few seconds on speed 6 to reduce the chunks to small pieces) for 4 min/50C/speed 1.
- Pour onto the egg whites and, using a spatula, lightly mix (not too much as you want to see streaks of white and chocolate coming through).
- Scoop onto the baking tray lined with baking parchment or greaseproof paper (about 2 heaped tablespoons per meringue) and bake for 1 hour.
- Take out of the oven and let to cool before eating.