During Thermomix demonstrations, we use a flipchart with pictures of some of the dishes that can be made with the Thermomix. One of them always gets me salivating and is quite surprising because it’s a steamed cheesecake. I’ve been eager to try it ever since but with so many recipes to try out there, this one was somewhere down the list. Well, I’ve finally got around making it and let me tell you: it’s as delicious as it looks on the picture! It’s creamy and chocolatey, an absolute delight to eat.
Source: Australian Recipe community
50 g sugar
100 g unsalted butter, cubed
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch sea salt
2 egg yolks
70 g plain flour
100 g dark chocolate, , broken into pieces
100 g sugar (50 + 50)
220 g double cream (110 + 110)
250 g chestnut purée (unsweetened, if sweetened, omit some of the sugar, depending how sweet the chestnut purée is)
3 large eggs
250 g cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla essence
100g dark chocolate
80g double cream
- Sablé: mix the sugar for the sablé base 10sec/speed 10.
- Add butter and vanilla and mix 20sec/speed 4.
- Add remaining sablé ingredients and mix 10 sec/speed 3.
- Line the bottom of a 20cm springform tin with baking parchment and spread the sablé mixture in an even layer using the back of a spoon (make sure the bottom of the springform tin is turned upside down so that the ridge is underneath and the flat part up. This will ensure easy removal of the cheesecake). The tin size is important if you are going to steam it in the Varoma as it needs to fit in it. Mine was a bit high (9cm high) so I couldn’t close the lid properly but I managed to use foil and kitchen towels to seal the lid and it was absolutely fine!
- Freeze the sablé for 20 minutes (or place in the fridge for 2 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 150C.
- Bake the sablé for 30 minutes or until golden. Leave to cook completely before adding the filling.
- For the filling: place the chocolate and 50g sugar in the bowl and mix 8 sec/speed 9.
- Add 110g cream and melt 3 min/50C/speed 1.
- Add 120g chestnut purée and mix 10 sec/speed 4. Tip out and reserve.
- Place remaining sugar, cream, 130g chestnut purée eggs, cream cheese and vanilla essence into the TM bowl and mix 20 sec/speed 8.
- Return the chocolate mixture into the bowl and mix 4 sec/speed 3/ Reverse blade.
- Pour onto the cooled sablé. Place the tin in the Varoma, on top of chopsticks or something to keep the holes free.
- Place 1.2L water into the bowl, close the lid and place the Varoma on top. If the lid of the Varoma doesn’t close properly, use tea towels to wrap around the lid as tightly as possible while making sure the holes on the lid are not obstructed.
- Steam for 50 minutes/Varoma/Speed 3.
- After that time, the mixture will still look quite wobbly, which is normal. Let it cool before chilling for a few hours or overnight in the fridge. It will firm up.
- Before serving, make the ganache: place the chocolate in the TM bowl and chop 8 sec/speed 9.
- Add the cream and cook for 3 min/50C/speed 3.
- Take out the cheesecake from the springform tin and place on a serving plate.
- Pour onto the cheesecake and decorate with toffee nuts, chocolate drops or fruits.