This month Supertoinette challenge was presented by Christine and perfectly suited the beautiful weather we are finally having: a salad. Not just any salad, a steamed courgette salad and with a sauce that makes all the difference. Indeed, it is using strong mustard and boiled eggs, the mustard bringing a powerful taste to the dressing and the eggs adding texture. I really enjoyed eating this salad (who would have thought about using courgettes in a salad?) and it looked just wonderful. I’ll be making this again for sure!
Serves 2 people as a starter or 1 as a main dish
1 tbsp strong Dijon mustard
1 tbsp cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small shallot
Mini roasted peppers from a jar or black olives to add colour
Salt and pepper
- Place 500g water in the TM bowl.
- Place the 2 eggs in the internal basket and fit in the bowl.
- Cook 10 min/Varoma/speed 1.
- Meanwhile, wash the courgette and slice it thinly with a mandoline.
- Place in the Varoma and when the 10 minutes cooking are over, place the Varoma on the lid (leave the eggs in the basket) and cook for 5 min/Varoma/speed 1.
- Carefully remove the Varoma and set aside to cool.
- Lift the internal basket using the spatula hook and place in cold water to cool down.
- Non Thermomix:
- Boil the 2 eggs in a saucepan filled with cold water. When the water is boiling, count 7 minutes while continuing to boil and take out of the heat.
- Quickly dip the eggs in cold water to cool.
- While the eggs are boiling, thinly slice the courgettes with a mandoline if steaming. Steam until the courgettes are just softened but still bright green.
- If you don’t have a steamer, plunge the courgette in cold water and bring to the boil. Leave to boil for 8 to 10 minutes or until the courgette is soft when pricking with a knife.
- Take out of the water and leave to cool before cutting with a knife into slices.
- To make the dressing: peel and finely chop the shallot and place in cold water to soften the taste. Set aside.
- Take one boiled eggs, remove the shell and chop it finely with a knife.
- Mix the mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper and oil together. Add the chopped egg and the drained shallot. Mix well. You can add chopped herbs if you like.
- Arrange the courgette slices on a serving plate. Peel the other eggs and arrange on the courgettes.
- Sprinkle with the dressing and some piquillos peppers or black olives if you wish.