Spreads are so versatile. You can use them on bread, biscuits, as fillings for brioches, in a tart case, in pancakes or waffles… I just love making them. So, today I give you not one, but 2 recipes for great classics to make with your Thermomix: passion fruit curd (who doesn’t love passion fruit??) and your own Nutella, which is far better than the shop-bought one (and with no palm oil)!
8 tbsp Hazelnut paste
8 tbsp cream
6 tbsp grated dark chocolate (or chocolate chips)
Passion fruit curd (based on the Lemon curd recipe in Fast & Easy Cooking)
4 passion fruits (spoon out the seeds and press through a sieve to collect all the juice)
2 large eggs
50g unsalted butter
- For the Nutella: make the Hazelnut paste and take out 8 tbsp.
- Warm the chocolate and cream together 4 min/37C/speed 2 (or use the microwave: heat the cream 20 to 30 sec until just bubbly and add the chocolate and stir until melted).
- Add to the hazelnut paste and stir. Keep in a tightly closed jam pot.
- For the passion curd: Grind the sugar 20 sec/speed 10. Add eggs, butter and juice of the passion fruit and mix 10 sec/speed 6.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with the spatula. Cook and stir for 4 min/80C/speed 4. If it hasn’t thickened enough, add 1 to 2 minutes more. Spoon out into a bowl and leave to cool, or in a sterilised jar if you want to conserve it for longer than a week.
- For different flavours, try with 35-45g orange/lemon or lime juice instead of the passion fruit.
- Both spreads will keep well in the fridge for a week (2 weeks for the chocolate/hazelnut spread).