This is a very much loved classic in our family. It’s very tasty and is made in minutes with the Thermomix. The pancake batter only takes 20 secondes (and there is no lumps to worry about) and the bechamel sauce takes 7 minutes! The beauty with this recipe is that any remaining pancake batter can be used to make sweet pancakes by just adding 1 tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract (and 1 tbsp of rum if you like), so you also have a dessert as well!
3 slices of ham, cut in 1 cm squares
500g milk (or 250g cow’s milk and 250g of soya milk for lighter batter)
1 tbsp neutral oil (like sunflower)
1/4 tsp salt
50g cheddar cheese cut into 3cm chunks
500g milk (or 250g cow’s milk and 250g of soya milk for a lighter version)
A pinch of grated nutmeg
- A couple of hours before, make the pancake batter by adding all the ingredients to the Thermomix bowl and mix 20 sec, speed 6. Pour out in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Make the bechamel sauce: add the flour, butter and cheese in the Thermomix bowl and mix 8 sec, speed 5
- Add the milk and cook for 7 min, 90C, speed 4
- Add the nutmeg and ham and stir 10 sec, reverse blade direction, speed spoon
- Pour a laddle of batter in a hot pan with a knob of butter and cook 1 minute on the first side and 20 seconds on the other side. Tilt the pancake out on a plate and fill it with the ham and cheese bechamel.
- Fold the pancake and serve immediately.
- Note that you can vary the filling by adding cooked sliced mushrooms, pieces of cooked chicken, cooked bacon or some cooked vegetables to the bechamel sauce.