Today was my first participation to the Irish foodies cookalong. The principle is to cook a dish based on a theme every first Friday of the month. This month’s theme is summer salads. I wanted to make a strawberry salad for a long time but never quite got around it. So I surfed the internet and I found this fab’ recipe from Jamie Oliver. I loved the interesting mix of flavours and colours. The result was a fresh, tasty and vibrant salad.
(Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a starter)
6 slices of Parma ham
200g Halloumi cheese, cut into 8 thin slices
1 tbsp good quality Balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
A sprig a mint leaves
8 basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and hull the strawberries. Slice them in 2mm thick slices.
- Add the Balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix. Leave aside so the flavours infuse.
- Heat a frying pan with a dollop of olive oil. Press 1 basil leaf on each halloumi cheese slice.
- Fry the halloumi slices on a medium heat, basil side down for a couple of minutes or until golden then turn over and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Dress the plate: put the salad in the middle, arrange the halloumi cheese and the parma ham around and spoon in the strawberries and juices over.
- Sprinkle with chopped mint leaves and serve at once!