This is a great way to cook roast beef as the meat stays juicy from the steam cooking. It is excellent served with mashed potatoes, and green beans.
(Source: UK Thermomix)
700g to 1kg beef roasting joint
Good quality sea salt
2 or 3 sprigs of rosemary
3 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
1 glass red wine
- The day before, rub the beef with the salt and spread the garlic and rosemary on the meat. Wrap in a piece of foil and leave to marinate overnight.
- On the day, take out the garlic and rosemary and set them aside.
- Brown the meat on all sides in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil.
- Line the Varoma with a big piece of foil. Place the meat in the center and arrange the garlic and rosemary from the marinade around.
- Pour the wine on the meat.
- Wrap the beef and seal well but leave some room around it
- Put 700g of water in the bowl, close the lid and place the Varoma on top.
- For a 700g beef, cook for 35 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed 1 for a medium cooking. For a 1kg beef, cook it for 45 minutes. Add 10 minutes to these cooking times for well done, remove 10 minutes for medium rare.
- If cooking vegetables, add them about 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time for greens (brocoli, green beans, asparagus…), cook at the same time as the beef for other vegs (carrots, potatoes…). Just place them in the Varoma around the beef parcel.
- Once cooked, leave the beef to rest for about 10 minutes in its parcel but away from the source of heat.
- I like to make a sauce with the cooking juices. Just re-use the frying pan you browned the beef in and carefully pour in the juices and cook on high heat until the sauce has reduced by half.
- Pour over the beef and vegetables and enjoy!