Another great idea for Christmas pressies, this relish is absolutely delish! It would go well with turkey and ham of course but is equally as good with cheese or paté.
Source: 400 sauces recipe book
Makes about 900g
450g red onions, peeled
2 tbsp olive oil
225g brown sugar
450g fresh or frozen cranberries
120ml red wine vinegar
120ml red wine
1 tbsp mustard seeds
½ tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp orange liqueur or Port
Salt and ground black pepper
- Halve and thinly slice the red onions. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onions. Cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring often until softened.
- Add 2 tbsp of the sugar and cook for 5 minutes until caramelized.
- Meanwhile, put the cranberries in the Thermomx with the remaining sugar, the vinegar, red wine, mustard seeds and ginger. Cook for 20 min/100C/speed 1 or until the berries have burst and are tender.
- Stir in the onions and cook 10 min/Varoma/speed spoon, Reverse blade direction and Measuring cup OFF (add internal basket over the lid to avoid projections) until it is well reduced and thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the relish to warmed sterilised jars*. Spoon a little of the liqueur/Port over the top of each then cover and seal.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Store in the fridge once opened and use within 1 month.
*To sterilise jars, place them with their lids in an oven preheated at 150C for 10 minutes. Pour the hot content while they’re hot.