I came across this recipe on the blog “La cuisine de Bernard”, which is a very popular culinary blog in France. He came up with the ultimate lemon cake recipe by trial and error and I must say he nailed this one. The cake is very moist and the icing is thin, slightly crispy and very lemony.
Source: La cuisine de Bernard
200g sugar (use all the sugar it’s important for the texture of the cake)
120g unsalted butter
Peel of 1 lemon
150g plain flour
80g lemon juice (2 or 3 lemons)
1/2 tsp baking powder
25g lemon juice
130g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven at 170C.
- Mix the sugar and lemon peel 20sec/speed 10.
- Add the butter and melt 5 min/70C/speed 1.
- Add all the other cake ingredients and mix 15 sec/speed 6.
- Pour into a buttered and floured loaf tin and bake for 30 to 40 minutes (a skewer should come out clean).
- Unmould and leave 5 minutes to cool a little bit then wrap in cling film (try to find a heat resistant one) until it has totally cooled down. This is to keep the cake soft.
- When the cake is cooled, mix the icing ingredients and pour over the cake placed on a grid with a dish underneath to catch the drips.
- Reuse the icing dripped down to pour over the cake again and smooth with a spatula until the whole cake is iced.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 100C to harden.
- Keep in an airtight container.