Because it’s Halloween today and it’s a tradition to eat pumpkin at this time of the year, I was looking for inspiration when I saw this gorgeous recipe in Closet Cooking. I discovered this blog recently and it’s a treasure trove of fantastic recipes, packed with flavours and colours. The guy who writes the blog, Kevin, loves Mexican food and it shows! He has a knack for layering Mexican flavours with an American twist. This soup is no exception but I had to tone it down for my 7 years old so I didn’t add the black beans and the chipotle chillis. It was still an absolute hit for the tastebuds and I will definitely do it again.
Source: Closet cooking
1 can (425g) pumpkin purée
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
2 garlic cloves
50g Chorizo sausage (I remove the skin)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
A pinch of cinnamon
500g stock (chicken or vegetable, I used my own homemade veg stock from My way of cooking)
A can of tomatoes (I used a handful of cherry tomatoes as that’s all I had)
A handful of fresh coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onion, garlic, Chorizo, cumin, cinnamon and 1 tbsp olive oil in the TM bowl.
- Chop 3 sec/speed 5.
- Sweat for 4 min/100C/speed 1.
- Add the pumpking purée, tomatoes and stock and cook for 10 min/100C/speed 1.
- Add the coriander and blend 1 min/speed 10 (if you like your soup chunky, you can take out a couple of laddle of the soup, blend and add the laddles back in).
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with a wedge of lime and fresh coriander.