Today I’m not giving a recipe but rather the steps to make fun cupcakes for Halloween. When I saw these witch cupcakes on the net a while ago, I knew I had to make them for my little one’s Halloween party. They made a great impression and are quite easy to make. Here’s how:
- Make your usual cupcake buns and wait until they are cool to put the icing on top (any icing would do or even sugar paste).
- Take ice cream cones (I cut out a little at the end so they are less tall) and brush some melted dark chocolate all over. Let the chocolate harden (that shouldn’t take too long).
- Meanwhile, spread more melted dark chocolate on a tray lined with silicone sheet or greaseproof paper. Spread it thinly enough but try leave about 2 mm thickness so they are easy to lift out.
- Wait until the chocolate is almost hard (about 5 minutes) and cut out circles with a pastry cutter. Lift them up carefully using a palette knife when fully hard and place on the cupcakes.
- Make some buttercream and add the colouring of your choice and pipe a little all around the edge of the “hat” so you can stick it to the chocolate circle.
- Pipe more buttercream at the bottom of the hat to make a nice pattern and voilá !
I also made the famous cake pops using white chocolate coloured with a lime green gel food colouring.
All the chocolates were melted in my Thermomix of course. The usual timing is 5 minutes at 50C, then reheat at 37C when the chocolate starts to harden again…