Puff pastry is not that difficult to make and tastes much nicer than the bought version. The proportions in this recipe make enough for a big tart. You can easily double them and freeze the rest wrapped well in cling film and packed in a freezer bag.
(Source Fast and Easy Cooking)
150g plain flour
150g butter diced and put in the freezer for at least 10 minutes
75g chilled water
pinch of salt
- Mix all the ingredients 15 sec, speed 6
- Mix 10 sec, speed 2, reverse blade direction and turn out the pastry onto clingfilm. Wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour or in the freezer for 20 minutes until firm but not frozen
- Roll the chilled dough into a snake shape on a floured surface (step 1)
- Then roll the snake onto itself to form a snail (step 2)
- Roll the snail (standing as in step 2) to flatten it. This will form the layers we need in the puff pastry.
- Roll into a rectangle (add flour if the dough becomes sticky) and fold in 3 (step 3). Wrap in cling film and reserve in the fridge until ready to use.